B.A., 1994, Wesleyan University
J.D., 1999, New York University
Areas of Expertise
Betsy Ginsberg is a Clinical Associate Professor of Law at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law where she founded and directs the Civil Rights Clinic. The clinic focuses on the intersection of civil rights and criminal justice and provides representation to individuals and groups whose civil rights have been violated by law enforcement officials. The clinic primarily litigates cases involving police misconduct and the constitutional and statutory rights of prisoners and detainees in federal court.
Professor Ginsberg began teaching at Cardozo in 2010, first in the Immigration Justice Clinic and then in the Civil Rights Clinic. She came to Cardozo from New York University School of Law, where she taught in the lawyering program. Prior to teaching, Professor Ginsberg litigated class actions as a Staff Attorney with the Prisoners’ Rights Project at the Legal Aid Society, where she sought to reform jails and prisons in New York City and New York State with respect to disability rights, mental health care, and prison guard brutality. She has been the recipient of two public interest fellowships: the Soros Justice Postgraduate Fellowship to support her work at the Prisoners' Rights Project; and the NAPIL Equal Justice Fellowship which funded her work at the Prison Law Office in San Quentin, California, where she litigated class action institutional reform lawsuits on behalf of California prisoners and parolees. Professor Ginsberg's scholarship explores issues relating to access to courts for civil rights litigants with a particular focus on barriers to relief for institutionalized persons. She received her J.D. from New York University School of Law, cum laude, in 1999.
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Betsy Ginsberg in the news
- Mar 9, 2016 Cardozo Law Students Win Case on Behalf of Prisoner Seeking Appropriate Medical Treatment
- Feb 18, 2016 Students in Civil Rights Clinic to Argue Case in Appeals Court
- Jun 22, 2015 Professor Betsy Ginsberg in Capital New York: The Long Path to Reform at Rikers
- Jan 8, 2015 New York Law Journal: Cardozo, Cornell File Suit for Transgender Inmate
- Jan 6, 2015 Cardozo Civil Rights Clinic in Slate: Protecting Trans Prisoners
- Jan 6, 2015 Cardozo Civil Rights Clinic Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Transgender Woman Raped in New York Prison
- Jun 24, 2013 Betsy Ginsberg Joins Full-Time Faculty at Cardozo Law