B.A., 1984, J.D., 1989, Yale University
Areas of Expertise
Susan Crawford recently authored Captive Audience: The Telecom Industry and Monopoly Power in the New Gilded Age (Yale 2013) and regularly contributes to Bloomberg View and Wired. She served as Special Assistant to the President for Science, Technology, and Innovation Policy during 2009 and co-led the FCC transition team between the Bush and Obama administrations. Crawford is a Fellow at the Roosevelt Institute, where she leads the Institute's work on making high-speed Internet access a universal, affordable resource for all, and a member of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's Advisory Council on Technology and Innovation.
Professor Crawford has been a visiting professor at Harvard, Yale, and the University of Michigan. As an academic, she teaches open government policy, Internet law, and communications law. She was a member of the board of directors of ICANN from 2005-2008 and is the founder of OneWebDay, a global Earth Day for the Internet that takes place each Sept. 22. One of Fast Company's Most Influential Women in Technology (2009); IP3 Awardee (2010); one of Prospect Magazine's Top Ten Brains of the Digital Future (2011); and one of Newsweek's 100 Digital Disruptors (2012). She serves on the boards of Public Knowledge and TPRC and as a faculty co-director of the Berkman Center at Harvard.
Ms. Crawford received her B.A. and J.D. from Yale University. She served as a clerk for Judge Raymond J. Dearie of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, and was a partner at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering (now WilmerHale) (Washington, D.C.) until the end of 2002, when she left that firm to enter the legal academy.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Susan Crawford in the news
- Jul 23, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Useless Pay Phones Are the Wi-Fi Future
- Jul 22, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford on Google's Consideration of Transforming New York City Pay Phones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Jul 16, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Fox and Time Warner Need Each Other
- Jul 14, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Government Should Invest in Fiber Optics
- Jul 9, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: How Cities Can Take on Big Cable
- Jun 23, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Chicago is your Friendly Big Brother
- Jun 20, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Google Fiber Changes the Status Quo
- Jun 12, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Don't Let Sprint Buy T-Mobile
- May 22, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: AT&T and DirecTV Team Up Against Customers
- Apr 28, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford's Op-Ed in the NY Times: The Wire Next Time